Friday, April 9, 2010

Growing Roots

God created me to be a visual person so naturally He speaks to me in word pictures. I've always had a special fondness for trees. I'm not sure why, but to me they are beautiful in any shape, size or age. I have a tendency to humanize them.

My in-laws are going through a tough time right now. My father-in-law had a stroke in January, as well as brain surgery from an infection. He's still recovering and it's been a long and life changing road for the both of them. Their life, their family "tree", was knocked over in a storm.

I was at a nature center here in TN the other day and I noticed this great big tree. This is an excerpt of an email I sent my mother-in-law the other day describing it. (I hope she doesn't mind that I share it!)

"The tree was huge and had fallen over a while back during a storm. The roots were exposed on one side yet half of them were still rooted in the ground. The roots that were exposed had new growth coming from it. It was a beautiful sight. The tree's life was forever changed during that storm yet beauty still grew from it. Your family tree has been uprooted during your "storm". Beauty will still grow out of it." (I'm sorry to say, that I do not have a picture of this tree. )

Two nights ago, we had a crazy, powerful storm. Lightning, thunder, the whole works. The next morning after the storm had passed I shuffled the kids into the van and was backing out of the garage when I saw part of a tree in the yard. It was leaning against the neighbor's house. During the storm this tree was struck by lightning and the top half of it was completely knocked off. Such a drastic turn of events for this poor tree! The trees roots are still planted and it will survive this but...sometimes that is how God gets our attention...with a quick spark of lightning.


To continue with our theme of trees, I considered my family tree and what it's like right now. I picture this...

Living the military life, you've got to be portable. You can't let your roots grow to deep because they are eventually going to be uprooted. I do look forward to the day when I can stretch my roots but until then I think I'll just continue to decorate the pot that I'm in.

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good thoughts, Amy.

Navylangs said...

I'm glad you're back to the blog. I love and share your insight.
Your pot analogy - simply perfect!